So you’ve decided you want to purchase a puppy.
- To start the process, complete the application on the Puppy Application page.
- We will get back in touch with you regarding your application.
- After hearing back from us, submit your completed Puppy Deposit Agreement and non-refundable security deposit.
After we have talked with you about your application, it is expected the security deposit will be paid/sent within 24 hours. A $300.00 non-refundable security deposit will hold your place on the wait list for a litter. Waiting lists will be kept on a first-come, first-serve order for the expected litters.
You can submit your $300 security deposit payment by cash, money order or bank draft. We do not accept personal checks or credit cards. We will let you know when we have received your security deposit. Your security deposit can be mailed to: Lori Marshall 1675 Newbold Drive Knoxville, Iowa 50138. Please be sure to include the puppy deposit agreement form with your payment.
We also accept security deposits by paypal. Please send via the friend option to email@example.com. You will still need to complete the puppy deposit agreement which can be mailed or signed/scanned back into your computer and returned via email.
What Happens After You’ve Reserved Your Puppy
After you have reserved your puppy with Star Creek Kennel, we will provide you with updates as to the progress.
While you are waiting for the puppies to arrive, it’s a great time to get a book or two about raising a new puppy.
Take the time to line up a vet if you don’t have one. You will be required to take your puppy to your vet within 72 hours after receiving your puppy.
What Happens After the Puppies are Born
We will post on our Facebook page all litter announcements and number of male and female puppies in the litter. We will contact you regarding the litter and if you are receiving a puppy from the litter. We go by dates of deposits and have to wait until the litter is born to see how many males and females there are! Sometimes it is necessary to have your reservation moved forward to the next litter, if the sex of the puppy you want is not present in the litter.
Special Note: We reserve the option to select a puppy from a litter after it has arrived, for “breeder’s pick” for our breeding program.
We post updates of the puppies on our Facebook page, Star Creek Kennel, L.L.C., so that you can watch the puppies grow! All immunizations and de-wormings are done as per our vet’s schedule, and socialization starts the day the puppies are born with much human handling. All of our puppies are born and reared inside our home. Our whelping/puppy room as well as our kennel is clean, well ventilated, heated, air conditioned and cleaned daily. Our adult dogs are very healthy, groomed and bathed often and have access to inside and outside space. Our puppies are exposed to normal household noises, exposed to bathing as well as nails trimmed so that they are familiar with everyday life.
Puppy selection can occur at any time but must be completed by the time the puppies are 7 weeks old. Puppy selection is based on the dates of deposits received. When it is your family’s turn to choose, we will help you as much or as little as you’d like, and will be available to answer all of your questions. Some families are able to visit and select their puppies in person. We will be happy to have you schedule your visit with us. After seeing the photos for 6 weeks, most families have a favorite or two… and are already in love!
Your puppy will be ready to go home to you, at 8 weeks of age. We believe it is best for your puppy to have face-to-face hand off. You are welcome to come in person and pick up your puppy. If you live a long distance, you can fly into Des Moines International Airport and we can deliver your puppy to you at the airport for you to take your puppy back home with you onboard the plane. This must be scheduled in advance, so please be sure to talk to us about this option well in advance. We can deliver some puppies by car to a designated location. An additional transportation fee may apply for this service and this must be scheduled in advance. We may be able to fly your puppy to a major airport clost to you for an additional fee. This must be requested well in advance to make appropriate arrangements.
Be sure to have a checkup appointment scheduled with your vet. Remember that puppies should not go out in public until they have had their immunizations – this is a must! No public parks, walks in the neighborhood or obedience training outside the home. Some people get an in-home trainer to come and work with the puppy and all the family members, then continue with obedience training classes later when the puppy has had all immunizations.
Puppy Visiting Days
Families often ask to visit our puppies and see our kennel. We have been advised by our vet that the general public should not be allowed inside our kennel and that puppies should not be brought out to meet families until they are 6 weeks old and their immunizations have been started. This is part of our bio-security system to limit exposure of potentially fatal viruses and bacteria to our dogs and puppies. Good Biosecurity often prevents common diseases like parvovirus. We hope you understand why we must have this limited visitor’s policy. After all, this policy is in place to protect YOUR future puppy too.
Paying the Balance of Your Puppy
If you want, you can pay the total balance due prior to the date you are to pick up your puppy. All balances due for your puppy must be paid in full before your puppy is able to go to your home. We accept final payments by cash, money order or cashiers check. We do not accept personal checks or credit cards. Please remember the total balance due is the price for your puppy PLUS 7% Iowa State sales tax for any puppy purchased in Iowa.
A health warranty is offered for all of our puppies. The document must be completed prior to or at the time of the purchase of the puppy. This contract must be signed by the buyer and seller to be binding. A printed copy of the document (contents noted below) will be provided by the seller. A copy will be provide to the buyer and a copy retained by the seller.
ATTENTION! Please, read carefully. If you have any questions, please, ask. This contract is written for the protection of the Breeder, the Buyer and the puppy.
|Puppy:||Breeding Rights: YES NO|
- To the best of the Breeder’s knowledge the puppy identified above is in good health and free of communicable diseases at the time of sale, is up to date on age appropriate vaccines and deworming’s and has had a routine health examination by a licensed veterinarian. Appropriate information will be provided to the buyer by the breeder with regard to the puppy’s medical records.
- The Buyer is required to take the puppy to a licensed veterinarian within 3 business days after taking possession of the puppy for a general health exam. If during this health exam the puppy is found to have a life-threatening health problem, the Buyer must return the puppy at the buyers cost with the Veterinarian’s written confirmation as to the health problem. Upon return of the puppy along with the written Vet confirmation, the Buyer will receive another puppy of equal value if one is available, otherwise, the purchase price of the puppy will be refunded to the Buyer. If the puppy is not taken to a licensed veterinarian within the three business days, the Health Warranty is void.
- The Breeder warrants the health of the puppy for two years after the date of the sale against any genetic hereditary defects involving the hips, heart, liver and kidneys. In the event the puppy exhibits symptoms of a suspected debilitating congenital defect, the Buyer must supply any requested veterinary records to the Breeder. If it is determined the puppy does have a genetic disorder that is identified within two years of purchase, the Buyer has the option of a replacement puppy from the next available litter. The puppy will be returned to the breeder at the buyers expense. Shipping fees will not be refunded and if it becomes necessary to ship a replacement puppy, those fees are to be paid by the Buyer. If in the unfortunate event, the puppy expires, an autopsy must be performed which shows a congenital defect as the reason for the death. A written statement from the veterinarian must be provided. This warranty is void in the event of an undeterminable or inconclusive diagnosis.
- The Breeder will not provide a refund or exchange for any puppy injured or sick (due to non-genetic disease) after leaving the Breeder’s premises. Buyers are encouraged to limit the exposure of their puppy to other dogs and outside high traffic dog areas until the puppy is at least 16 weeks old and/or has been given its final puppy vaccination.
- This contract does not cover viral illnesses, infections, improper bites, hernias, hypoglycemia, kennel cough, mites, ear infections, fleas, and worms, Guardia or Coccidosis. It also does not include any illness due to the ingestion of foreign objects, food, chemicals or physical injury. It is to be clearly understood, that the Breeder does NOT, under any circumstances, accept responsibility for any veterinarian and/or health care expense for such noted health issues.
- THIS GUARANTEE DOES NOT COVER ANY HEALTH ISSUES CAUSED BY NEGLECT OR INJURY, OR IMPROPER CARE IN ANY WAY.
- While the breeder will make a good faith effort to estimate the color and size of the puppy based on the size of the parents, the breeder does NOT and CANNOT guarantee size, color, temperament or fertility of any puppy. This puppy is represented as a beautiful loving pet.
- The pictures which were taken of your puppy and the puppies parents are owned by the breeder. You do not have permission to alter these photos in any way, nor do you have permission to attempt to resell any puppy acquired from the breeder using any of these pictures. Using any of our photos without our permission will automatically void this agreement.
- This puppy is being sold with the agreement that it is being placed with a Buyer who promises the puppy will become a member of the family and will primarily live indoors as a member of their family.
- The Buyer agrees to maintain preventative health care of the puppy including, but not limited to: annual vaccinations, treatment as needed for internal and external parasites, heart worm preventative medication, feeding a quality food, providing appropriate exercise and maintaining the puppy at a healthy weight. The buyer is aware that owning a dog may mean frequent visits to a veterinarian and understands that he/she will be responsible for all payments.
- The Buyer is encouraged to provide basic obedience training with their puppy within the first year of owning their dog.
- Initial puppy socialization will be done by the breeder, but it is the buyer’s responsibility to continue that education and further develop desired behavioral traits.
- The puppy is to be registered with AKC (American Kennel Club) or non registered depending on the litter breed. A registration form will be furnished to the Buyer upon completion of the sale and payment of balance due, when appropriate.
- All deposits are deducted from the sales price and are non-refundable but are transferable to another puppy but not to another buyer. Buyer agrees to the terms of the non-refundable deposit. Buyer agrees to pay the full amount due prior to taking ownership of the puppy.
- If the puppy is being purchased on a limited registration, the Buyer agrees that the puppy will be spayed or neutered by 12 months of age. Buyer agrees to provide Seller with proof of spay/neuter within 12 months after purchase date as shown below. If the puppy is not spayed or neutered by 12 months of age and/or is used for breeding (whether intentional or accidental), the Breeder reserves the right to repossess the Dog and the Buyer forfeits any and all purchase monies.
- The Buyer agrees to not pursue registration through an alternative registration such as ACA, CKC, etc. for the sole purpose of breeding.
- If you find you are unable to keep your puppy for any reason, please contact the breeder for assistance in rehoming your dog.
- The buyer agrees to never place the puppy in a shelter, pound or similar facility or research laboratory.
This document is a legal-binding document. In the unforeseen event there are issues that can’t be resolved, any court action shall be filed in Marion County, Iowa. Any court costs and attorney fees necessary to enforce this contract shall be paid by the buyer in the state of Iowa.
This guarantee applies to the original owner (buyer) only, and is not transferable. There are no other warranties expressed or implied except as contained herein.
I, the buyer, have been provided documentation that my puppy has been wormed and immunized as noted below.
I, the buyer, have read and agree to the terms and conditions noted above.
Buyer Signature Seller Signature
Date Signed Date Signed
Buyers Phone Number:_________________________________________________________
1675 Newbold Drive
Knoxville, Iowa 50138